Do you thrive on being the go-to person to solve your employer’s greatest technical challenges? Stryten Manufacturing is hiring an Automation Engineer for our automation engineering team. Your expertise will help guide us and drive our increasing automation needs in our Manchester, Iowa facility. The role is highly visible and impacts all of our new and current manufacturing operations (oxide manufacturing, plate making, assembly, and formation) from manufacturing efficiency, rate, operator safety, and uptime standpoints. You will help Stryten as we drive to the next level of manufacturing automation. You thrive on this kind of responsibility and take pride knowing the impact you’ll have in this position.
Your presence must be felt in the facility as you drive the facility engineering and manufacturing teams. You will guide, design, spec, install, and program new automation investments and highlight high potential investment areas. Reporting to the Automation Engineering Manager, you are the facility automation expert and will share improvements with other automation engineers in our other manufacturing facilities.
With 8 manufacturing facilities in the US, there are always opportunities to move up or around within the company. Stryten has an engineering career progression ladder that allows engineers to progress in the organization in either an individual contributor or managerial role.
Read below for the formal description. Apply to learn more about our new projects for the upcoming year where you’ll play a key role in our manufacturing plants and other key initiatives.
Apply online or text strytenjobs to 97211 to begin your pre-screening process!
- The Automation Engineer will be the go-to person for new process improvement recommendations and designs and critical troubleshooting events, and new process improvement recommendations and designs
• Take ownership of all the automation aspects of our equipment
• Gather data on manufacturing processes, analyzing them for optimal improvement opportunities.
• Develop upgrade plans for manufacturing equipment and roll them out on all like equipment.
• Create PID loops for critical process controls to improve process capabilities
• Build SCADA and MES solutions to improve our manufacturing efficiency and help drive strategic process improvements
• Develop a thorough understanding of the processes at our facilities • Grow knowledge of the facility team and gain their trust
• Take a hands-on approach to improvements
• Improve uptime on manufacturing equipment
• Increase production speed at the current quality requirements and uptime
• Isolate critical data outputs of the process and define indicators of key process performance
• Foster strong relationships with members of the operations team and vendors
• Work at all levels across the organization
• Grow expertise in Automation, MES, Industry 4.0 and IIoT
- BS or greater in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Electrical Engineering or STEM related field.
• Proven experience with any of the following PLCs: Allen Bradley, Modicon, GE Fanuc, Siemens, AutomationDirect, Mitsubishi, Omron, Aromat, or Toshiba but Allen Bradley is preferred
• Experience with all Rockwell software packages including but not limited to RS Logix 5, 500 and 5000, Factory Talk view designer, RS Networks, Panelbuilder, kepserver and related communications packages.
• Familiar with motion controls systems, servos and modern sensor types and uses.
• Experience in HMI and/or Operator Interface programming and configuration of any of the following software packages Ignition, Wonderware, Intellution, Factory Talk View, GE Cimplicity, Ci-Tech, Iconics, Siemens, or US Data is a requirement for this role, and Ignition is preferred
• 3-5 years of hands on experience in process or manufacturing engineering, with a track record of driving operational excellence
• Proven record of successfully operating independently with little or no direct supervision
• Demonstrated ability to analyze processes looking for improvements in efficiency as well as product quality, layout of equipment, workflow and safety.
• Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and database softwares
• Familiar with industrial networking technologies including Ethernet/IP, Controlnet and Devicenet
• Familiar with all aspects of electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic machine systems (power sources, energy control, motion devices)
• Proficient with CAD drawing packages and able to and/or update drawing packages as needed
• Develop training and technical documents to present and/or instruct others on new process changes or machine modifications.
• Six sigma certification is a strong plus
About the work environment:
• You will work in both office and manufacturing environments. Battery manufacturing employs chemicals, heat and heavy equipment, and as such you will at times be exposed to lead, fumes, noise, dirt, hazards, and chemicals, and in all cases will be provided with appropriate PPE.
• You must be able to see, hear and speak; able to sit, stand for at least two hours at a time, sit, bend, crawl, squat, kneel and climb able to use both arms and hands to use a computer and peripherals and lift 40 pounds from floor level, able to work below ground level in confined spaces and on stationary or mobile elevated platforms, able to wear respirator and other personal protective equipment (PPE) as required, able to climb stairs.
• Travel may be required for this position but not more than 25%